What is hammer mill machine?
A hammer mill is a machine used in the pharmaceutical and food processing industries. Its purpose is to crush, pulverise, shred, grind, and reduce material to suitable sizes.The hammer mill consists of a series of hammers (usually four or more) hinged on a central shaft and enclosed within a rigid metal case. It operates by producing size reductions through impact. In a hammer mill, the material you want to grind is hit by fast-spinning rectangular pieces of tough steel (called ganged hammers) inside a chamber.
What is the working principle of hammer milling?
The way a hammer mill works is based on a straightforward process. The rotor, which contains the hammers, is spun at a high speed inside the drum while material is fed into a feed hopper. The feeding process can depend on the design of the machine, which may use gravity or a metered feeding system.
The materials are crushed or shattered by repeated hammer impacts, collisions with the walls of the grinding chamber, as well as particle-on-particle impacts. A screen is fitted at the bottom of the mill, which retains coarse materials while allowing properly sized materials to pass as finished products.
What are the advantages of hammer milling?Hammer milling offers several key advantages such as:
- Cost-Effectiveness: Hammer mills are cost-effective machines with low energy requirements for operation, which saves costs.
- Versatility: Hammer mills can handle various types of feedstock using screens of different sizes. They are versatile in the sense that speed and screen can be changed based on milling requirements.
- High Reduction Ratio and Capacity: Hammer mills have a high reduction ratio and capacity, irrespective of whether they are used for primary, secondary, or tertiary grinding.
- Space-efficiency: Hammer mills occupy a small space, making them suitable for areas with space constraints.
- Easy Installation and Dismantling: They are easy to install, operate, dismantle, and clean up.
- High Angular Velocity Grinding/Crushing: Hammer mills can grind or crush different types of materials at high angular velocity.
- Uniform Particle Size: Because of self-characterisation, hammer mills provide typically varying size distributions with the fewest fines.
The Versatility of Hammer Milling: Diverse Applications and IndustriesHammer mills are incredibly versatile machines with applications in a wide range of industries. Here are some examples:
- Pharmaceutical Industry: Hammer mills are used in the pharmaceutical industry to process intermediate powder grades for specific applications. They are also used for size reduction to ensure that every capsule or tablet has the right dose quantity.
- Food Processing Industry: Hammer mills play a crucial role in the food processing industry. They are used to grind various food items like soy, beans, and groundnuts. The industrial food milling machine market is expected to grow significantly, indicating the importance of these machines in the industry.
- Cosmetic Industry: In the cosmetic industry, hammer mills are used to grind a number of nuts to make body lotions and creams.
- Chemical Industry: Hammer mills are used in the chemical industry for material size reduction and to improve formulation or dissolution.
- Agriculture Industry: Hammer mills are also used in the agriculture industry for various purposes.
- Construction Industry: Hammer mills find applications in the construction industry as well.
- Recycling: Hammer mills help in the faster and more cost-effective recycling of substances.
The Leading Hammer Milling Machine Manufacturers in India
In the field of hammer milling, IDEX India offers the Quadro Powder Processing, Particle Processing, and Size Reduction Equipment. They introduced their first original conical mill, Comil®, in 1976 and have evolved since then into a global processing standard. Their size reduction equipment is backed by the highest level of application and technical support.
They also manufacture FitzMill Fitzpatrick roll compactors and hammer milling equipment for dry granulation. FitzMill’s hammer milling technology has been proven and tested to be one of the best in India over the years.
IDEX India has local sales and service team across India and supports their customers through their manufacturing plant in Vadodara. They are recognised as one of the best industrial supply manufacturers in India.Conclusion
The advantages of hammer milling are multifaceted and make it an invaluable process in various industries. From its cost-effectiveness and versatility to its high reduction ratio, capacity, and space efficiency, hammer milling offers a powerful solution for size reduction and material processing. Pharmaceutical, food processing, cosmetic, chemical, and numerous other industries rely on this versatile technology to meet their specific needs. IDEX India, with its range of trusted and high-quality milling equipment, plays a pivotal role in ensuring that industries across India have access to cutting-edge solutions that enhance their manufacturing processes and product quality. As a leader in the field, IDEX India continues to drive innovation and excellence in particle processing technology, making it a reliable partner for businesses seeking efficient hammer milling solutions.